December 7, 2012

33 Things I'm Thankful For

On Wednesday, my husband surprised me with a gift for my 33rd birthday. He left a gift bag on my side of the bed. Inside were a 10K white gold neckalce w/ diamond accent heart pendant and a birthday card.

My eyes swelled with tears and I sat crying in front of my sewing table (which I use as a study table as well) for a good 3 minutes. Then I took pictures of the gift of course. It was Wordless Wednesday afterall. Yes, I'm silly!

I liked the necklace a lot. However, I returned it to the store that day. My husband kept the receipt inside the gift bag. I think he really wanted me to return it anyways. Ha! I'm joking! On a serious note, I did return it. Really! That very same day. There has to be a reason of course. I have a several actually.

First, I didn't want a necklace. An eco-drive watch would have made my day. Bam! Ha! I'm not kidding. Of course, I am! Second, I thought of using the money to pay off some bills or just deposit it to our savings. Third, I really didn't want anything for my birthday. Not tangible things.

We've all heard it many times. Once we have kids, our priorities will change. Very true! In fact, for my 33rd birthday, I really didn't want anything other than the ability to be able to take care of and provide for my kids.

When I turned 18, I asked my parents for 250 Philippine pesos so I can buy a pair of brown curdoroy pants. At the current exhange rate (US $1 = P 40.9), the pants would only have cost about $6. My parents couldn't give me the money. They didn't have it. So I cried my eyes out for half a day. I'm not exaggerating. I went to my survey class with puffed eyes I can barely open them. At that time I was so mad at my parents. But it was an anger of an 18 year old girl who did not know better. A girl who didn't know how painful it is for parents to see their child crying. Looking back, my parents must have been hurt more than I was. They probably wanted to give me what I wanted. They just couldn't.

Now most of the things I want are those that are for my kids. They are everything to me. My life revolves around them. I'm forever thankful for having them. I'm thankful for a lot of things.

Since I'm officially 33, I'll try to come up with 33 things that I'm thankful for. If I can't come up with 33, I'd have to change the title of this post. So here they are.

In no particular order, I'm thankful for...

... my mother. She is the strongest woman I know. We may not agree and get along all the time but in my heart I know we love each other.

.... my father. He had put me through unimaginable physical and emotional pain when I was a child but it made me a strong person that I am today.

... the opportunity of having an education.

... Ate Lablab (big sister) for being a role model to me and to my two younger sisters. We had our share of fights when we were young. I couldn't even guesstimate how much hair we've pulled out of each other's head during our countless physical display of strength but she is the only big sister I want. I love her.

... Kuya Ruel for taking good care of Ate Lablab and their boys.

... Baby (younger sister) for being so kind-hearted and funny. The peace keeper in the family. I love her dearly.

... Gogo, the family's comedian for taking care of Baby and their son.

... Dodit (youngest sister) for all the times, when we were still kids, she had me and my sisters crying for getting all the food and not sharing them. I still love her though.

... my in-laws for the support and love they have always shown not only to me but to my family (parents and sisters).

... Jovy for being a great friend. She is one of the most unselfish person I know.

... the food on our table every day.

... the ability to drive a vehicle. A must for a parent like me!

... my sewing skills. I love seeing the delight on my daughter's face every time she puts on a dress I make.

... my very reliable Sony VAIO laptop which I use for school. Yes, blogging as well.

... the internet!

... the Army for giving us the opportunity to be here in Germany. We have travelled to places we would never have been able to, otherwise.

... my iPad for keeping my daughter entertained during those times when I needed quiet time.

... having learned how to use a DSLR. I have made some families happy by taking their pictures.

... snow. It brought smiles to my daughter's face.

... rice, my comfort food.

... being healthy. Health is wealth!

... being a mother. The best and most rewarding job one can ever have.

... having experienced how it is to have nothing. It made me count my blessings.

... the ability to read and write.

... Auntie Merla, and her family, for providing a roof over my head during a very difficult time when I was in Australia.

... being able to pay the bills.

... the air that I breath.

... all the people I have met at some point in my life.

... not getting today the things that I want because it makes me look forward to tomorrow.

... Aunt Flor, my mother's youngest sister. She gave me the overseas trip that changed the course of my life.

... my iPhone for the convenience of doing "photo a day" as part of my Project 365.

... Jeff for being such a patient and a loving husband to me and father to our daughters. The best husband one could ever have. I love him forever.

... my precious daughters. Skye, my pride and happiness. Ryne, my small bundle of joy. I love them unconditionally!


That was pretty long but thank you for reading! What are you thankful for?

10 comments:

  1. I have never returned a gift from anyone because i was once told "Do not rob someone of the joy they receive when you give them a gift". its far better to give then to receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Myers, thank you and I will keep that in mind.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet post and a great thing to do on your birthday! Happy Birthday, Labrijoy.

    PS: That picture of your family is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefani!

      The picture was taken by a fellow Army spouse in our post. She's awesome!

      Delete
  3. New follower from Dawn's Disaster hop. Hope you will hop over and follow back!
    Glad to meet you!

    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/12/moms-library-8-for-me-and-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thank you for stopping by. I just followed you back!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Thanks for finding my blog, I'm following you as well!
    Have a wonderful day! (:

    Becca @ The Moss Family
    kcandbecca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Becca, thank you! You have a great day as well!

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of wonderful thankfulness! Great post, lovely photo :)

    Following you back from the Pretty Little Inspirations blog hop, so glad you came by for a visit!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca
    http://pinterest.com/jennp6

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...